Saturday, December 5, 2009

Every year about this time I make gingerbread. I have found a great recipe. There is a history as to why I make gingerbread, so I have to tell you about it. On December 5th or 6th many years ago, a sweet expectant mother to be decided to make a batch of gingerbread. While making the great smelling treat her baby decided it was time for him to come into the world. She went to the hospital and had that baby boy on December 6. She and her good husband named their first son David. (he was named after David O. McKay). Baby boy David grew up to be an awesome man and got completely whooped by a girl named Connie. Yep, that gingerbread seeking baby was my husband. So each year I make the symbolic and celebritory gingerbread.

Every year about this time I make gingerbread. I have found a great
recipe. There is a history as to why I make gingerbread, so I have to
tell you about it. On December 5th or 6th many years ago, a sweet
expectant mother to be decided to make a batch of gingerbread. While
making the great smelling treat her baby decided it was time for him
to come into the world. She went to the hospital and had that baby
boy on December 6. She and her good husband named their first son
David. (he was named after David O. McKay). Baby boy David grew up to
be an awesome man and got completely whooped by a girl named Connie.
Yep, that gingerbread seeking baby was my husband. So each year I make
the symbolic and celebritory gingerbread.

Here's the recipe. It origionally came from all recipes.com but I
changed a few things. It's much more perky this way.

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9
inch square pan. (Sometimes I use a loaf pan)
In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg,
and mix in the molasses.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon,
ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot
water. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the
center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.

When David made this for me when we were dating, he served it topped
with applesauce on top. Delicious!!


Connie

No comments: