Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A very sobering day, a good day


Today David and I went to the funeral of one of the funnest guys we know. He lived further down in the ward than we did, but he was in the ward just about as long as we lived there. It was typical to see Gordon driving down the road in a convertible I never knew he had, or on a gas powered scooter or some other fun devise you'd think to only see the under 18 crowd propelling down the road. (He was in his upper 40's) He has a ready smile and wit and laugh.

His wife Dixie is awesome and such an example to me. She was the RS president when we moved out. She is so kind, and so calm in every situation. I ache for her.
Gordon was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after Joseph didn't go to the MTC. That alone has helped me keep perspective most of the time. I knew Dixie was carrying on and doing what needed to be done, with out too much drama. I know this not because I was with her, but because I know her. This is her example to me, as well as for other reasons.

There was so many of their family members were there, so most of the cedar hollow 2nd ward sat in the over flow and cultural hall. It was heaven to be among so many members of our Lehi ward. So much love and and friendship and history there. Other members that had moved were also there. It really is a family with them. I'm so thankful to know them, to know Gordon, and Dixie. One of my dear friends wrote about Gordon on her blog. Her daughter was in Gordon's primary class. This little gal told her mom that her favorite thing about Brother Calkins was that after every primary class he would tell each child "love you". So that is my new goal. I teach some great young women at church, I need to tell them that I love them. They helped me more than they know in adjusting to our move.

There is no reason to with hold love from the ones that I do love. There is nothing wrong or weird about saying "love you" I'm going to do it more.

I know heaven is a better place with Gordon there. I know he is with loved ones, and hopefully time goes faster there, so he won't hurt too much for those he left behind. He has two missionaries out and hopefully he can help them.

I'm thankful for life and that we are here with many we love. It's certainly not an easy life, but friends and family continue to show me the way and add so much love to my life.

1 comment:

Karie said...

So beautifully written Connie. I don't know how you could be any more loving than you already are.
I love you!