Thursday, March 5, 2009

My guitar

A few years ago, maybe 7, David gave me a guitar for my birthday. I loved it and took a few classes. Those classes were not exactly what I was looking and eventually the guitar became a little noticed friend.

Fast forward to February 09.

I was talking to my friend Ellen. She's taught me several things, like how to piece a quilt and how to keep stats at a lacrosse game.
She told me she was taking guitar lessons and told me the name of the teacher.

So I'm now taking lessons again and loving it. In order to catch up with the teachers beginners class, she taught me privately twice a week for two weeks. Each lesson of packed with new stuff. She teaches chords, strumming and picking. In picking and strumming can be done in many different rhythms. I would walk out of the lesson thinking there was no way I could master the new picking or strumming. I guess I'm doing okay cause I am now in the group lessons. Thankfully this will allow more time to master each assignment really well before learning new techniques.

I can play several songs and always have one in my head. Sometimes its Songs I don't even know, like "for baby" by John Denver, or Jamaica farewell. Last Sunday I played edelvies while aub sang for my parents. She sounded so beautiful. I can do "surfin safari" pretty well and " feeling groovy" is a good one too. The teacher sometimes plays the real song from a cd and we play with it. She and I played along with "achy breaky heart" it was very fun. Watching her play is mesmerizing to me. She has been playing since she was a little girl. Her mom developed a course for byu and she teaches from that. It's really all very amazing and a fun part of my life these days.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Oh Connie, today when I called you and you said you were playing your guitar, I didn't get it. I just kinda thought you must be a newbie at "Guitar Hero" or something like that. Not very good of a sister to not know her sister very well, huh? Well, how about that snow storm? Greg said it is almost a blizzard. OK, keep practicing, you're developing more talents than I can keep up with! Love you sis