Friday, January 30, 2009

The American Red Cross (ARC) and me

I have been friends with the ARC for awhile. I go in usually once a month and donate platelets. I have my own reasons for going, but it doesn't hurt that I have the universal type of platelets. They can go to anyone. I have been told mine go right up to primary children's hospital in SLC when I donate. How can I not go donate? Really! Here's a few shots of the event. I pump my blood out from the left arm, and they put all the stuff they don't need back into the right arm. A machine does all the dividing but makes all the stuff coming back into my arm room temp about 72'. I usually run about 97'so its easy to get cold in this process. They usually have to tuck an electric blanket all around me. Yes, please turn it all the way on. Then I watch a movie. Today I got through 3/4 of "just like heaven". It's one i have I'll finish watching it tonight while I miss my dh.

Now, if I can just get these monthly visits to count for my visit teaching I'd be set!!

1 comment:

JessWilson said...

You're amazing! Just have to tell you as someone that has had a very loved one on the other end of that process that it is such a valuable gift and so much appreciated. Thanks for being such a great example!