Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The naughty-ist soup I ever made




I was asked to make some soup for a wedding this weekend. I made half a batch for the family tonight to make sure I was doing it right. It is very delicious, but has very naughty ingredients in it. The original calls for fresh tomatoes, not a good idea in February in Utah. So I used canned and adjusted the recipe from there.

4- 28 oz canned tomatoes I used half Italian style and half stewed tomatoes
4 c tomato juice
28 leaves fresh basil
2 c heavy cream- I used half and half for the family batch
1 c butter, melted but not hot
salt and pepper to taste

blend tomatoes and basil leaves in a blender to chop them up. Pour into a large soup pot and add juice. stir in cream and butter and heat through while stirring. My family loved it. We didn't even need the salt and pepper. I sent a quart over to Laura and Steve, 5 of us had some for dinner here in Lehi, and I have about a quart left in the fridge. Too bad they liked it, I don't think I can feel good about making this soup very often.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It is soooo good :) I'm eating the remainder of the said soup as I write :) didn't last long....

Holly said...

Connie you need to change your background color. I can't read your blog, but I keep checking. Sure love you Sis.