Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Many years ago, on this very day

When I was a teenager I had a mad crush on a guy in my school and in my stake. He was a great kid. We had a fun friendship and eventually started dating. Things ended as he wanted to concentrate on preparing for his mission. He was called to Argentina but after only three months on his mission, he was tragically killed on May 13, 1981. It was the first real heartache I ever had. Time, among other things, and people ;) have helped heal my heart. However on this day since 1981, I have thought of that day. I mourn for the missionary's mom, and family. I also mourn for that 17 yr old girl that was me hurting so much.
I was at Hoag Hospital doing some nursing aid schooling on the 3rd floor. I was working with the new mommys. My Mom called at the hospital to ask me to come home. I knew something was up, but I didn't know what. I changed out of my scrubs and on the way out to the car it came to me. Being called home had something to do with this missionary. I have since realized that that "revelation" was a great blessing in preparing me for the next few days ahead of me.
The next day a huge bunch of lilacs were delivered to me. They came with a beautiful letter and card from my oldest sister Holly. Though I was just a teenager and my relationship with the young man was just young love, she recognised my pain. I so love her for that. So it's easy to remember this day so many years ago. Lilacs are everywhere. Sometimes I can smell them in the spring air. They are my favorite flower I think. And now you know why

1 comment:

Blue said...

was it Kent Williams?