Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A really good thing



Tonight was a wedding reception for my cousins son. Marianne is my cousin. She was a little older then I was, so as children we weren't really close. When we moved to Utah our friendship began to grow and eventually David and I found our selves in the same ward as her and her husband. Her husband was our home teacher and a great friendship continued. So tonight I dragged my two girls with me and we went to the reception. I was supposed to meet my folks there, but they were kinda late. Kim Aub and I tried to make it as "family friendly" as possible, reminding my cousins I was one of their people, and attempting to be fun and friendly. I totally messed up on the cousins names, but laughing at myself went over well. All of Mariannes sibs are older then I am, so I really don't have history with them. If only Jim were with me we could mingle with the best of them, but as time went on, I did okay.
It really loosened up when Mom and Dad showed up. These cousins were little kids when my parents were newly married, so there is huge history there. My Dad taught two of them in school, when they were in fourth grade. My Dad and his younger brother are the only siblings left out of that whole family. I'm sure the cousins that have lost their own parents love seeing my Dad and Mom. Jeanne was so so sweet with my Dad, she kept putting her hand on his cheek. the picture didn't turn out too well.

By chance, one of Davids uncles was there, so I chatted it up with him and his wife. They are good tall people. He is so great, being a history teacher at BYU. He asked me the connection with the bride and groom, so I explained my relation with Marianne, the grooms mother. Uncle Paul quickly asked me my genealogy , and I was unrighteously proud that I could give it to him from memory. He wrote it all down. It was cool. I tend to get a little intimidated with him being such a uppity up on campus, but when I was able to ramble off names and a few dates, I think I impressed him.. well he said he was :) His wife Mary is just as great. She is so sweet and such a good talker. She really can get me yacking too.... I know... shocking.

Here's a few pictures for those of you that know these people. I am again reminded and thankful for the great family I have. We don't see each other often but nonetheless, there is such an obvious connection somehow. It is so awesome, and such a great blessing in my life.

No comments: